WHY A MEMORIAL TO POLISH PILOTS FLYING WITH THE ROYAL AIR FORCE AT PLUMETOT ?
Immediately following the landings of 6th June 1944, numerous landing grounds were created to provide support for the ground forces. B10 at Plumetot was one of these. It was operational from 10th June 1944. From August to September, this aerodrome served as the base for three Polish fighter squadrons. It marked the return of the Polish Air Force to the mainland of Europe.
The Polish Air Force Memorial Committee (PAFMC) , based in London, is charged with maintaining the memory of the contribution made by the Polish Air Force in the West during the Second World War. The Committee is under the Chairmanship of Richard Kornicki and is accountable to the Polish and Royal Air Forces.
To commemorate this key event in the history of the Polish Air Force (PAF), the PAFMC wanted to erect a memorial in the commune of Plumetot in memory of the airmen who flew from there for your freedom and ours.